So, it's tricky to make time for your own learning when you lead a lot of professional development and spend time working with others in a teaching capacity. So, I'm getting ready for EdCamp on Saturday and it's great to take time to think about what I really want to learn rather than just choosing from a catalog. If you are not familiar with EdCamp; it's an unconference, meaning that there are no predetermined speakers or even sessions. The folks who participate in EdCamp determine the sessions day of and discuss and learn from each other at these sessions. (You can still register - check it out: http://www.edcampnc.org/home)
Recurring themes for me when I think about learning are student literacy and communication skills. It seems like no matter who I get in a conversation with about education; there are comments/complaints about reading, writing, speaking, etc. I hope at EdCamp to get into literacy issues with some folks and even better to connect literacy and technology. There are so many ways to be literate and illiterate in our techno/info-rich society and we need to help our kids keep up.
I've also been reading more and more about curation - which I believe is directly connected to helping students become more literate and therefore more functional in the sea of digital information. In my new job, I've finally got some time on my hands to look at what our library really needs and I think curation is one of my new goals. Now I've just got to figure out what tools to use and what to curate! I love Joyce Valenza's idea that "Librarians can synchronize communities" through curation and hope to synchronize away this summer (http://www.schoollibrarymonthly.com/articles/Valenza2012-v29n1p20.html)
No comments:
Post a Comment